Charles Ives Barber: Leading Beaux-Arts Style Architect in the Southeast
Charles Ives Barber (October 25, 1887 – June 14, 1962), the architect of Candoro Marble, was the leading Beaux-Arts style practitioner in the Southeast. He moved to Knoxville when he was one year old and had a long career primarily based around Knoxville. He partnered with his cousin in 1915 to start the firm BarberMcMurry architects, which is still around today.
Several of Barber’s designs and co-designs are on the National Register of Historic Places:
– Candoro Marble Works showroom (1923)
– Knoxville YMCA (1927)
– Holston Hills Country Club (1927)
– Church Street United Methodist Church (1931)
– Hoskins Library, Hesler Hall, Dabney Hall and several buildings surrounding U.T.’s Ayres Hall atop the “Hill”
– Barber & McMurry designed some of Knoxville’s most elaborate houses:
– Glen Craig (1926), built for Candoro Marble Works owner John C. Craig
– Westcliff (1928), built for inventor Weston M. Fulton
– The home for White Lily Flour founder J. Allen Smith (1915) (demolished 2004)
– The home for Financier William Cary Ross (1921) (demolished 1969)
– Headquarters for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (1940)
– During the 1930s and 1940s, Barber designed several structures for federal entities such as the Tennessee Valley Authority and the Civilian Conservation Corps.
For a complete list of structures, click here.
George Barber – Like Father, Like Son
While Charles Ives Barber was famous for his own portfolio of work, his father George Barber was also a nationally-known architect! He sold Queen Anne style and Colonial home designs through mail-order catalogs for many years and moved his family to Knoxville in 1888. The plans for his house designs were used in all 50 states and in Japan and the Philippines. Their styles were very different, however, both tended to emphasize chimneys and fireplaces, ornamented doorways and used texture on roofs and walls.